Wednesday 12 December 2007

How to use So and Neither

In this post I would like to look how to use “so” and “neither” to express agreement with someone.
If you want to see my YouTube video on the subject, click here.

For more lessons click here to go to my website

When someone makes a statement, you might want to agree or disagree with them. If the statement is a positive statement, and you want to agree with the statement then you use so, if the statement is negative, and you want to agree with it then you neither.

The positive statement:
I’ve got a new car.

You agree with it:
So have I

The negative statement:
I don’t have a TV

You agree with it:
Neither do I.

When we use so and neither, our answer must use a positive auxiliary verb.

So have I NOT So haven’t I
Neither do I NOT Neither don’t I

If we want to disagree with a statement then we use the opposite auxiliary verb from the original statement:

The positive statement:
I’ve got a new car

You don’t agree with it:
I haven’t

The negative statement:
I don’t have a TV

You don’t agree
I have

If you want to more lessons click here to go to my website:
www.smartlangaugesolutions.com