Thursday 22 November 2007

Part of the car!

In this post I would like to look at six words that are used to describe the same three parts of a car depending on whether you are speaking British English or American English.
Click here and you can see the mini lesson I posted on YouTube.

The reason I decided to write about this subject is due to the amount of American and British movies and TV shows that are seen around the world and how ubiquitous the car is in movies & TV shows.

The first part of the car I want to look at is the space at the back, where we might put our shopping or bags (or where in the movies or on TV the “bad guy” or mafia hit man might put a body!)
In British English this space is called the BOOT, so a British person would say, “I put the bags in the boot”
While in American English this space is called the trunk, so an American would say, “I put the bags in the trunk”

The second part of the car I want to discuss is the front end, where the engine is. The piece of metal that covers the engine has, like the space at the back, two different words describing it depending on where you come from.
In British English this piece of metal is called the BONNET, so a British person would say, “The engine is under the bonnet”.
While in American English this piece of metal is called the HOOD, so an America would say, “the engine is under the hood”.

Finally for now, I want to discuss the matter of speed. When an English person wants you to go faster they would say “I want you to accelerate”.
However if an American wants you to go faster they would say “I want you to give gas”.

If you want more then click here to check out our website www.smartlanguagesolutions.com


Vocabulary:
Ubiquitous – To be seen to be everywhere at the same time
Shopping – Items bought in a shop and stored together for transport by an individual
Bad Guy – In a movie, TV show, book, play etc. the person who is the evil character.